February 20, 2013

I'm Not Excited About The Revolution...

...but I am excited for the 2013 season.

I know, mind blown right?

Let me explain a bit.

Last year I did not renew my season tickets. I felt that continuing on as a season ticket holder said that I approved of the actions and record of this team, that I approved of the way myself, friends and fellow supporters were treated through Fortgate, that I thought things were ok. I missed only 3 or 4 games last season, the most I had ever missed since I started avidly going to games. I managed to get plenty of free and discounted tickets and in the long run probably spent about the same on tickets as I would have if I had renewed.

I really hoped that I would see a change in the team and organization this past season that would make me re-up this season. I have not had that revelation of "Shit I need to get Seasons again!" I thought it might be close with the annual stadium talk around renewal time. Conspiracy theory or not, you cannot discount the fact that stadium talks start up around renewal time every year... you can almost set your watch by it. The Revs were better only marginally last season. Conversation with Jay Heaps got me excited... he said the right things and truly wants to do right by the team but I'm not sold that he knows how or what he is doing. Staff promotions and additions were questionable. The team stagnated in the summer.

We had our annual big attendance in the fall. Why is it that the ticket and marketing staff try to blow their load on 1 or 2 games towards the end of the season? Why isn't that happening all season... especially in the middle when it is most needed, or even gasp... the beginning games of the season. Why aren't we trying to sell people for the long haul of the season? I'm annoyed by the throngs of youth soccer teams, high school kids, and possibly college kids on college night... although I haven't really seen many college kids on college night... That being said if this team is going to build it's abysmal attendance and following they need to get the product in front of more people.

I am less excited about this team than I ever have been. I have not been wowed or excited by any signings thus far. I am unimpressed with the effort to improve this team. The Revolution is my team however through thick or thin. I love the sport, the community and the culture of the sport, and for better or (mostly) worse this is the only game in town that can fulfill that need.

So why am I excited for the season? I am excited for seeing group of friends that I have that revolves around this team on a more regular basis again. I am excited to drink ice cold beers in the hot summer sun, blast punk rock and eat bad for me but delicious tailgate food. I am excited to be the loudest asshole I can possibly be in the Fort, calling people out for not participating, and generally trying to make sure that my group that while small... is louder and better than everyone else. I think when it comes down to it I feel more allegiance to the Rev Army than the Revolution. They are my friends, they have my back and I have theirs, we're more than a supporters group. Somehow being part of our elusive, highly critical and even quite frankly elitist group is all that keeps me going. Somehow that is enough.

Sometimes you just need a reason to keep going.

2 comments:

  1. Why do the ticketing/marketing folk blow their load on only one or two games in the latter portion of each season, you ask?

    Because when the team is viewed as nothing more than a Patriots' off-season stadium filler by the people at the top, it only takes a couple of games (give or take) with "high" attendance per year to satisfy the proverbial "Soccer" side of the yearly KSG expense ledger. Notice that as Foxboro has dropped further and further down the pecking order (to almost the point of oblivion) of USMNT host venues over the past 6 years or so, the abundance of various "special" XYZ group night Revs games have gotten larger and larger.

    Coincidence? Possibly. But it's a mere theory that I"m sticking with.

    Anyways, psyched to see everyone again at the home opener!

    Rev Army - The Loudest, The Proudest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "team" really cant get any more irrelevant, can it?

    ReplyDelete