September 18, 2012

Why The Revolution's Hispanic Heritage Night Is Already Falling Short


Crap.
Ok, this is ridiculous... a ticket package that includes "Four Nachos Grande" to help promote Hispanic heritage night. Wow... whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

Seriously guys? A few people are alluding this to be racist and while I'm not willing to go that far it is a bit misguided.

The Revolution have decided a proper celebration is to offer generic food service nachos to cater to the Hispanic crowd.  I'm just a white middle class kid of Irish decent, but here's what I do know....



  1. Nachos are Tex-Mex, questionably Mexican, but undoubtedly a fantastic snack/appetizer/meal when made well.  Which brings me to...
  2. Mass produced food service, machine cheese, over-salted tortilla chips, canned jalapenos, Tostitios (at best) salsa, mystery meat crap nachos.  They kind that are served at every stadium everywhere.  WE'RE SOOOOO GLAD YOU'RE HISPANIC AND HERE!! HERE'S A PLATE OF SHIT TEX-MEX FOOD THAT MIGHT RESEMBLE NACHOS!!  HISPANIC PEOPLE LOVE NACHOS RIGHT... WHO DOESN'T!? Which brings me to...
  3. Demographics of the Hispanic community in the Boston/New England area. Mexicans in Boston make up 2% of the foreign born population... (Dominican 8%, El Salvador 4.5%, Columbia 4%),we have so many more Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in the area and boy do they make some good food. Which brings me to...
  4. Why not invite some local establishments to provide food... perhaps a food court of Hispanic Food.... something that would hopefully attract the Hispanic population more than 'Mass produced food service, machine cheese, over-salted tortilla chips, canned jalapenos, Tostitios (at best) salsa, mystery meat crap nachos.' On top of all of that it's an educational and fun thing for the dare I say majority of fans who are not of Hispanic decent.
Ok so I can see the food service provider to Gillette being against my suggestion going on in the stadium.  It may even violate a contract, however it could go on outside the gates prior to kickoff. Perhaps they could even invite some popular local Hispanic bands and musicians to perform on the stage outside the Proshop while fans of all ethnic backgrounds enjoy some awesome food. Ed Note: Apparently they are having a Mariachi band... Mariachi music is Mexican; not saying that Mexicans should not be involved however... see #3 above.

I came up with this idea in about 5 minutes. Someone is a)not doing their job, b)is lazy, or c)just not good at what they do. I have some marketing training and experience but it certainly has never been my job, just part of it at times.  I think this would be fun for everyone, and really do a good job of accomplishing the goal of Hispanic Heritage Night.  I guess either they don't want to spend money on a cool marketing night or they just don't care. Seems to be a theme.

PS. What ever happened to the Revolution backed Barra... nice to see they still have a banner paid for by a club sponsor...

10 comments:

  1. Excellent Brian...and geez you could have put more thought into it than 5 MINUTES!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Revs' intern department has never come off as particularly brilliant and while I doubt an intern was put in charge of this event, it all boils down to the fact that the people on the ground that are hired tend to fuck up more than Biello probably thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess there really aren't much better things to discuss in Revsland these days huh? Why don't we talk about plans for next year? Why don't we talk about who we should keep and who we should get rid of? How about which players who don't get regular games do you want to see get minutes? There are so many better and more meaningful debates to be having. However, having said, that I'm willing to give my 2 cents on the issue:

    Well, I think this whole nachos thing is dumb. I'm not Hispanic so I can't comment on if it's offensive or not. Regardless of if it's offensive though it's just not gonna work. Hordes of people aren't gonna show up to get nachos; we can't even get people to show up for AC Milan for God's sake. It really shows how bad things are right now that fans are verbally attacking each other over this. For the record, I agree with Brian's idea but I think we should just move on from this. I think we can all agree, to some extent, that the nachos part of this promotion is stupid. The Hispanic Heritage Night isn't a half bad idea, but are we really surprised that the Revs screwed it up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris,

    Thanks for your comment. Could we talk about plans for next year... who should go and stay etc. Sure we could. However that isn't really what we do here. Occasionally we will but generally we hit on the things that don't get picked up by other blogs or new sources. There are a bunch of other blogs out there that do that... and well they are all pretty similar. We like to be different.

    Personally I think this is a hilarious clusterfuck. They repeatedly do little shit like this that makes them look dumb. I feel that they should be called out on it and it should be kept track of. They can write us off like they do 99% of the time, or they can learn from it and use it as motivation to do better. When they fail again there is now a documented track record and it can further add to the indictment that this FO is out of touch and are not good at their jobs bot on and off the field. On the field is easily tracked, but someone needs to be keeping count of off the field and that's something we do that no one else does.

    -brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reply Brian!

    While I obviously don't think the Revs meant any harm to anyone they certainly showed their ignorance (again)! It's getting to the point where it's actually pathetic and laughing at them seems cruel!

    However, I like your idea of keeping a track record of failures from the organization. Just be sure that if/when the F.O gets their shit together to give credit when it's due. We all want this team/organization to be the best that it can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely Chris. There have been times that we have given credit when it's due... but they are few and far between. I should go back through the posts and find them and tag them for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In contrast to the Revs complete incompetence: Today I got a call from a rep at DC United. I have never purchased season tickets, a package or anything at all from them other than just a pair of single game tickets to last weekends match. He immediately offered me free tickets to the next DC United home game. I politely declined, and told after I told the guy I was a Revs fan, and lived in New York, and didnt want to waste his time, he kept me on the line, and kept asking me questions about what I thought about the Revs, about DC United, the fans, etc. I actually had a great time with their fans, and ended up telling him that I have a sister and brother in law in DC who went to their first game with me, and had a good time, and I offered h him their email. No big deal, just a guy doing his job, but IN CONTRAST. I have never been a season tix holder, but have bought single game Revs tix more times than I can count, and have never once been called to ask if I want any, or anything at all. Im sure im in their CRM somewhere, they just dont take the time to do anything right. Same with the Nachos, everything is a one off quick fix, nothing is planned, and nothing is done right. Its not that their not run like a solid MAJOR sports franchise, which their not, I dont think they are even run like a solid SMALL BUSINESS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone working in sports marketing... this is idiotic, lazy, and ignorant. Hey it's Asian American night... well 4 free egg rolls with your ticket package?! etc etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Check out this link: http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news/2012/09/revolution-hosts-hispanic-heritage-night-tomorrow

    Nachos has been replaced with "vouchers for food specials and fountain drinks". Also, there's going to be Uruguayan drum corpse as opposed to just Mexican stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never question the power of fans. Glad to see they made adjustments.

    ReplyDelete